Friday, June 6, 2014

Going to get a little personal here....along with an update on Day 15

First off, my Aunt and Uncle came for a visit today and brought me this little plant. So cute....wonder how long it will take for me to kill it?? 


I started transitioning from 25% weightbearing to 50% today and did fine with it. Really well actually. We are about to head off for dinner and I went to go to the bathroom before we left. I rested my crutches against the sink and without even thinking I walked over to the toilet. I had a mini panic attack because I realized I didn't support myself. I waited for the jolt of pain, or for the stumble and nothing happened. I freaked out!! I yelled for Andy. I turned around and walked out of the bathroom and into the living room without any assistance. I yelled "I'm walking!!!" I pretty much skipped the 1 crutch 75% phase and just started walking. I was so excited. I took 1 crutch with me to dinner tho. I'm trying not to be dumb about all of this. Go out too fast and falter. When we got home I walked into the house and went upstairs to make the bed. We have been sleeping downstairs in the spare room since my surgery and Andy moved our mattress back upstairs today since I am able to do stairs now. I advise anyone who is having this surgery done, to if possible live on one floor until you are able to bear weight on your leg. I was going to try to be a hard ass and go up/down the stairs right off that bat and I am so glad I didn't. It's a lot harder than it seems when you are relying on one leg and a walker/crutches that you're not used to using. So I continued to make the bed and by the time I got back to the stairs I could feel fatigue setting into my quad muscles. Still no pain in my hip at all but I did start to limp a little. Morle of the story...I am not healed. I couldn't go a whole day without any assistance just yet but the walking I did today proves I'm doing amazing.

 The reason I wanted to make this post (I know I'm post happy lately) is because I noticed a choice of word I have been using throughout this process...Tired. I remember one time in PT before the surgery my therapist asked if I had any pain in my leg while I was doing a certain exercise. I said "no pain it's just...well I don't know....tired" Today as I was walking down the steps I told Andy that my leg was done for the day and that I couldn't go anymore without assistance. He asked if it was because I was in pain and I responded "no. It's just tired". I'm using the word "tired" instead of using the word "weak". Weak is the more appropriate word to use but I guess I have refused to use it. I have always been a tough cookie. I played sports my whole life whether I was fit to play or not. I never sat out a game. (I played softball and volleyball) If I was injured, I just rubbed some dirt on it or taped up whatever was bothering me and kept on going. I don't give up. It's just not in my blood. I am not weak. Never have been, never will be. I might be an emotional mess hahah but I am not weak. I am just getting stronger everyday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment