Tuesday, June 3, 2014

2 week (12 day) Post Op Follow Up

The news I got today is not what I was expecting but I am soooo happy.

I had my first post op follow up today. I walked past my surgeon's PA and she said "put your foot down" I thought she was just being sarcastic but when she came into the exam room she asked why I wasn't putting my foot down. I said "umm bc I'm not allowed to" She said I should be putting my foot down when I walk just not putting weight on it, instead of holding it up  while I walk with the walker. Andy and I just looked at each other like I COULD'VE BEEN DOING THIS THE WHOLE TIME?!?!?!" Oh well. Now when I put my foot down it feels weird. My toes are kinda tingly.

She took out my stitches. I have never had stitches before so I didn't know what to expect. The smaller incision didn't hurt at all but man did the bigger one burn and hurt like crazy!! I wasn't expecting that. She put new steri strips on so I didn't get to take a picture of the incisions. The strips can come off soon so I will post the pic then. They are small and there is a tiny bit of bruising.

She evaluated me and said that I am coming along great. I was told before surgery that I had a CAM impingement but once they got in there she said it ended up being a PINCER too...so it's a Mixed Impingement. So part of the femur and the acetabulum were worked on. She said I don't have to wear my ted hose anymore.. Yay they are hot and annoying. I know Andy is happy to not be on sock duty anymore.

She said that I can take the brace off tomorrow. I am extremely happy about that. This thing honestly hasn't been as bad as I thought it was going to be but it's so hot! My legs are always crossed or rotated out, bent up so I'm glad for the brace bc I know I would've moved my leg how I shouldn't have.

THEN..... she tells me that starting tomorrow I can start to put weight on my leg. Over the next 4 days I can add 25%, then 50%, then 75%, then 100% weight down. I can start to not rely on the walker or crutch. She suggested starting to use 1 crutch or a cane as I'm adding more weight. By Sun or Mon I will be able to walk without the help of anything! (as long as I can tolerate it) I can't believe it. I was expecting another 1-2 weeks. She said I can sleep on my side or however I want and that makes me so happy you have no idea. I am NOT a back sleeper and its been killing me. I toss and turn and switch positions all the time so to not be able to do this for 2 weeks has been hell.

I think that I have been kicking ass during rehab and this confirms it. I'm gonna do this!!! She did mention that running won't be in the picture until about 4 months post op. She did say soon enough that I will be able to use a bike or elliptical. I'm ok with that. I need some cardio in my life. I can start swimming next week if I want but I am not a swimmer. I am a float on a raft kinda girl.

She also said that maybe next week I could start driving if I want but I have to have good control of my leg and feel comfortable. I think I'm going to hold off on that tho. The thought of that kinda freaks me out.

The only issue I have about today is that I didn't talk to my surgeon or see him at all. I really like his PA Kristen she's wonderful but HE did my surgery. I want to talk to him!! I saw him when he evaluated me and I made the appointment for surgery. I did NOT see him before my surgery like I was told I would. He did talk to Andy when I was in recovery. I saw him for not even 5 min when I was awake in recovery. This bothers me. I guess as long as you know what you're doing and you fixed me fine whatever but that is bad bedside manner.

As we were walking out a girl in the waiting room asked if I had a labral repair. She was there for a follow up. She is 7 months out and said she is doing great and just started really exercising again. My Dr did her surgery too so that's good.

GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Every day is better than the day before after surgery, so feel good knowing today is the "worst" you'll feel and that life will be normal again!

    ReplyDelete