Thursday, June 5, 2014

I'm Learning to walk again...

I believe I've waited long enough..... sorry, was trying to come up with a title and Foo Fighters popped in my head. They're amazing by the way if you aren't already a fan.

ANYWAYS

Today marks exactly 2 weeks post op and I got to start "walking" today. When I woke up it kind of felt like how you do on Christmas morning. I was so excited to see how it was going to go. I got up and took my first step....low and behold it didn't hurt at all. I walked to the bathroom and I thought "it's this easy?' At this point I am only allowed to put 25% weight down. I am doing fabulous today. I really thought it was going to be more of a struggle but it's been great. I did put a little more weight on my leg at one point on accident and it was a little painful. So it's not going to be a walk in the park but I am off to a great start.

I went to therapy today. My PA told me that by Monday I could be walking without any crutch. She said that at about 75% weightbearing I should be using just 1 crutch. I have been using the walker since day 1 so I took my crutches to learn how to use them in therapy. Crutches are much easier to use when you're actually walking with them and not swinging from them. Therapy is going better than it did on Monday so more progress. I was telling my PT about what the PA said about my progress and I happened to ask her when I was allowed to start on a bike? I know some people that started on a bike the next day so I have been anxious to get on one. She looked thru her notes and said "well...we can start today if you want?' YAY!! We went over to the bike. The way it was positioned my legs didn't reach the pedals too well and when I started moving my legs, my hip was just not going where she wanted it to go. She decided to start me out on a different kind of bike. It's called a NuStep. You sit in it kind of like a recumbent bike but instead of peddling you just push your feet forward and backward....so maybe like a stair stepper but sitting instead of standing. I felt comfortable on it. I didn't have any pain and it felt good to move my leg around like that. She said "ok you're going to do this for 5 min and we will see how far around the track you get" (on the display that tells you the time and distance, it has a little picture of a track/loop like you would run on. It gives you a visual of how far you're going" I looked at her and she said "but this is not a race. I shouldn't have said 'how far you can get to you'" We laughed and I said "no you shouldn't have said it to me like that because I'm going to want to go faster" I got to 0.7miles in 5min and some change. I don't go to PT again until Monday but she said she thinks I'll be able to get on the original bike by then.


No comments:

Post a Comment